Thursday 17 November 2011

Mary, Mary

Grandma was partway through knitting a square for a blanket she'd been working on the evening she died. She'd set it aside to read the paper but the project bag was right by her side. She's joined together three rows of seven squares and added the first and last squares of the fourth row.

She left a pattern for a small child's jumper in the bag but no indication of who it was for or which yarn she meant for it. Until anyone comes forward, I'm going to carry on where she left off with the blanket until I've used up the yarn she had. I don't often knit, so it is a novelty and an honour to be knitting this up for her.

I've also inherited her various needles and some other lovely notions including a latch hook and  some beautiful chunky wooden knitting needles. There is a row counter and a needle case too, as well as her knitting bag.

Underneath Grandma's work is the More Sunshine blanket I've been working on and had finished joining on the train home from Darlington. I'm forcing myself to sew in the ends before starting in on the border section though, so had taken a break to do a test row on the train home yesterday when I took this. It seems we shared the same tension in our knitting as well as our enduring love of tea, Scrabble and fruit pastilles.


No comments:

Post a Comment