Thursday 3 November 2011

Bend One's Steps: New art in the old school.

When I was small Chequer Mead was still one of several primary schools serving the Sackville side of town and many of my peers were students there. I have vivid memories of walking with my class past East Court Mansion for joint arts events held there, always being struck by the sheer prettiness of the school and the odd situation of the buildings sat either side of a busy road meaning that at lunch time each and every student trotted across the road to eat and back again for their afternoon lessons. A Youth club was held in part of the premises long after the school closed and I think I recall the town marching band using the buildings for rehearsals during the nineties. 

Some fifteen years ago, just as I moved away from the town a small theatre was built onto the back of the old building obscuring the once familiar view of the school and yard from the top of Blackwell Hollow. I now approach from the other direction  passing the church, college and water tower. Eventually I park in the old playground before crossing over to the still recognisable main school buildings, now home to an intimate and thriving arts centre which to my eternal delight holds regular textile art exhibitions by local individual and Guild artisans in the light and spacious Greenstede Gallery

I very nearly missed this most recent exhibition, Bend One's Steps as it didn't appear on my calendar but was alerted by Mum who'd called by at the weekend and been impressed by the work. Jude Kingshott and Penny Watts are mixed media textile artists exhibiting together for the first time. Kingshott was warm and friendly, taking time to patiently explain the processes she uses in her work. Watts unfortunately was unavailable due to an upcoming exhibition elsewhere and so I have concentrated here on Jude Kingshott's work.  


Prayers One and Prayers Two by Jude Kingshott
Kingshott's influences are immediately apparent. The first of her works to meet my eye on arrival were inspired by a trip to Tibet and introduce the rich colours and exquisite detail present everywhere from the tiny Prayers One and Prayers Two displayed almost casually on a window sill by the entrance. These central themes of rich symbolism, the repetition of chants as patterns and the wild partnerships of colour continuing into her larger works Mandala and Tibet One hanging in the main gallery.




Isaac and Eban by Jude Kingshott 
Some deeply personal works were on display too - a carefully layered piece focussed on Kingshott's late Mother and the more playful paired photographic pieces Isaac and Eban, her much adored grandsons, each layered with printed vehicles and animals to suit their characters. Other relatives are represented around the edges making the whole a beautiful family record.


Isaac detail showing Car, Moped and Boat
The boys are not for sale of course, but their like can be commissioned using your choice of photographs and themes. They take time to produce as layers must be left to settle for days at a time, but there is still time to discuss your requirements if you know someone for whom such a piece would be an ideal Christmas gift.

Other works are evocative of woodland, or the ocean and many contain tiny hidden details caught not at first glance but only later on deeper reflection, appropriate given she credits her Buddhist practise. 


Daimoku One and Two - by Jude Kingshott.
Many are for sale (though the number available dwindled appreciably during my visit) and there really is something for every pocket, smaller works being as accessible as just twenty pounds or so and her larger more complex works proportionately more. 

I'll be back at Chequer Mead in the next few days to catch up with the recent works of the Tunbridge Wells Embroiderers' Guild in their now regularly anticipated show Losing The Thread which runs till Wednesday 2nd November 2011. Tuesday's little trip has only whetted my appetite for more and I shall be bursting with enthusiasm for new projects soon. 

I'm very pleased to have caught this 'bonus' show beforehand though. I'll certainly be scouring the listings a little more thoroughly in future - to think, I almost missed it! Somehow I think I'll be seeing a lot more from Jude Kingshott in the future. 


Detail of Tibet One, by Jude Kingshott.

No comments:

Post a Comment